Skirmish Shadowrun V.2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow Runners unite!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Long Way Home

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rystefn

Rystefn

The Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: The Long Way Home   The Long Way Home EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 am

“I'm looking for a runner, Cherry Blossom.”

Station wasn't used to playing Mr. Johnson, but he found himself falling into the persona with ease. It wasn't much different than looking for a wiz new piece of tech or telesma, really. Make a few discreet inquiries, offer a fair price, and always, always maintain the right attitude. Attitude was 90% of this business, same as any other.

“There is a mirror behind you, little singer,” the fixer replied, a small smile pulling at the corners of her mouth. “Or have you retired yet again? The shadows tell a different tale than that already.”

“Word gets around fast in this town.”

“Your reputation precedes you. As your power grows, so too does your shadow.” She paused to sip her wine, almost covering the glance she cast to her hacker, two tables over. “You cast a long shadow indeed. Your name is spoken often in the world of the great and lowly. Listen and you can hear it carried on the wind... 'Station' says the North Wind. 'El Oso' whispers the South Wind. 'He is here' the East Wind tells to those who listen...”

“So much for lying low,” Station chuckled to himself.

“High or low,” Cherry Blossom replied, “no amount of lying will hide one such as you.”

“That may be so, but right now, I'm looking for someone who can hide – and does it well.”

“So you say. I know many runners with many skills. This is a not uncommon one. I can find one to your tastes, I am certain.”

“I'm looking for a specific runner.”

“Ah,” she arched an eyebrow at him, “and you think I can hire her for you?”

“No,” Station shook his head. “I think you might know where he is, or know someone who does.”

“It is possible. Who is he?”

“He is a man of many names, but here he has been called Gideon.”

“This man has gone. Left before you, in fact, as I think you know. Amazonia, or Aztlan, perhaps... Rumor speaks the same of you.”

“Yet, here I am.” He paused to let the statement sink in. “He has gone before me again. If you hear of him, I would appreciate knowing about it.”

“It could be done, I suppose...”

“Don't go looking for him, now,” Station chided. “If he is hiding, then he has a reason, and I don't want to bring any heat down on his head.”

“And so you come to Cherry Blossom, known far and wide for her great discretion in sensitive matters.” She bowed slightly to him, “I am honored.”

“Please forgive my forwardness,” she said after a few moments. “Curiosity is my vice for today, little singer, and a question hangs between us. How is it that you come here from the north, when I know that you left to the south?”

“Who says I came from the north, Cherry Blossom?”

“A motorcycle with a hell hound riding shotgun does not precisely blend into the landscape, not even in cosmopolitan Seattle. Surely this does not surprise you.”

“Fair enough, though I daresay actually giving Cu Sidhe a shotgun might be the only way left to make myself stand out more. I came by way of Vancouver, and putting wheels on the road for last short leg was a nice change of pace after the company I had to travel with lately.”

“Why to Vancouver and not directly to Seattle? Surely security cannot be so much tighter here – generally the opposite is so, I find.”

“No, no, you're quite right.” Signaling for another drink, Station sighed. “It was, however the only flight leaving Anchorage for several days. Air travel is problematic this time of year so far north... even moreso than for us.”

“Anchorage is still to the north.”

“So it is. Believe me, if you spend a few days there in February yourself, you'll never need someone else to remind you of that. Cu Sidhe was quite the popular young fellow this last weekend, let me tell you.” He reached down to scratch the hell hound behind the ears. “You may be interested to know that 'Kunoichi 4: Winter Warriors' began shooting on Friday. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see who they cast to be the villain in this one...”

“But how did you come to be in Anchorage?”

“Oh, I caught a ride from Osaka with Fumiko.”

“Fumiko?” Cherry Blossom almost dropped her glass. “Not, Fumiko... Tesudo?”

He only smiled in answer.

“THE Tesudo Fumiko. The greatest simsense martial artist of the decade?”

“She did say something about working in the entertainment industry, now that you mention it...” Seeing the normally impeccably calm Cheery Blossom begin to redden, Station knew he had played the game long enough, and a little bit extra. “It does remind me, though, that I recalled you enjoy the genre while I was there, and, if I may be forgiven, I brought a gift for you.” Placing the stack of papers on the table, he saw that she immediately recognized what it was and all was forgiven. Even in hard copy, the original script was a valuable collector's item. Autographed by most of the cast and crew, it would be treasured by the fixer beyond mere nuyen.

“You shame me, little singer. I have nothing to offer you so grand.”

“Find my friend, and the debt is more than repaid.”

“It is done.” She slid the script into her briefcase and locked it securely. “You only raise more questions, however with your answers... How came you to Osaka and how did you meet Fumiko-san?”

“Well, Samantha Reele introduced us at the auditions. You see, she's the casting director for the Kunoichi series, so they've known one another for some years.”

“..and you just happened to be in Osaka auditioning for a sim-flick? Little singer, I do not for a moment believe such a tale.”

“Oh, no. Nothing like that. Sam and I met in San Fransisco at a street party. It seems that not only am I worst Mickey StarShine impersonator in all of California, she's known far and wide for completely failing at karaoke, especially Jeanette Carlssen, so Kurosawa-sama insisted we do a duet.”

“Kurosawa-sama?”

“Yes, fifteen-year champion, undefeated, worst Michael Jackson in CFS, UCAS, HKFEZ, and Japan... Also Federated Boeing Regional V.P. For the Pacific Rim. His son and I really hit it off in Hawaii last weekend. I might retire there, you know; it's one of the few places where diving actually helps you meet women.”

“So the great ShadowRunner was having a vacation in Hawaii? How very mundane of you.”

“What? Vacation? Not remotely. It was the only exit I could find from Aztlan. Borders are tight there, and a SINless magician is just the thing they'd love to get their hooks into for some 'advanced research' into the nature of magic. None for me thanks. I knew going north overland was risky when I set out... but all's well that ends well, right?” Rising from the table, he left a generous tip and tossed a wink as he turned to go. “Cu Sidhe, come. We have to meet Jenny at the airport. I still can't believe she was willing to wait ten days for a suborbital. When I pay for a two-hour flight, I want to be there in two hours, not next week...”

Cherry Blossom could only smile as he complained all the way out the door. Whatever faults he might have, the man was never boring.
Back to top Go down

The Long Way Home
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skirmish Shadowrun V.2.0 :: The Team :: Station-
Jump to: