Skirmish Shadowrun V.2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow Runners unite!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bad Artical on game of thrones

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Slide
Admin
Slide

Bad Artical on game of thrones Empty
PostSubject: Bad Artical on game of thrones   Bad Artical on game of thrones EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:47 pm

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/137363/kelly-devries/game-of-thrones-as-history

So I was reading this artical and 100% hate it. It talks about how Game of Thrones is not representative of history. Or more accurately its stating that the details are all historically accurate, but Martin only wrote about the interesting stuff. You know. The types of things that books and plays are written about. Fiction has never been about watching the model. Its about finding the exceptional and rare and allowing it to flourish.

He talks about how rare violence actually is... and come to think of it I'm pretty sure that the dates he was using coincide with the crusades. I don't know why I need to share the artical but its what happens when you think you are smarter than you actually are, and propagates that the middle ages was a 1000 year dead time in Europe. There were still things going on.
Back to top Go down
https://datahavens.forumotion.com
Rystefn

Rystefn

Bad Artical on game of thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Artical on game of thrones   Bad Artical on game of thrones EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I particularly love the claim that there was no incest... I mean the noble families only married with other noble families, and they were largely interrelated... but no, no incest. Marrying your cousin who happens to be your cousin on both sides because you mother and father were also cousins and so were hers totally doesn't count as incest. Really.

It's also interesting how a person who wrote seven books on warfare in the middle ages is saying that there wasn't much violence. Sorry, but last I checked, a cavalry charge that breaks the infantry and is followed by riding the poor sods down counts as violence, no matter how short it may be. And, you know, the battle of Hastings "turned on chance factors such as a leader's death" so it's totally unrealistic to depict is a large battle where hundreds of soldiers did horrible violent deaths by sword, spear, and axe, right? Most battle were over in minutes, but one lone Viking warrior held Stamford Bridge against five thousand Saxons for over an hour. This is history, folks, and the worst part? There's no possible the asshole who wrote that article doesn't know it.

He's not just a pretentious douche. He's also deliberately deceiving people to serve some end.

Fucker should be stripped of his god damned Ph.D.
Back to top Go down

Bad Artical on game of thrones
Page 1 of 1