Skirmish Shadowrun V.2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow Runners unite!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hotei so far

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hotei_Yang_Shi

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:01 pm

From a character perspective I don't see much growth potential (story-wise) for Hotei, but he seemed like a neat idea at the time. Hotei's concept is basically a tank-y healer type.

This is what I have so far for Hotei. (I haven't spent all BK yet.) I got toward the end when I started thinking about an ex-corp wage-slave that got fired etc and turned to Shadowrunning.

Edited April 4, 2012: ~All BP spent! Now I have to spend my money! (what little there is of it!)

Build Points (BP): 500
Starting Newyen:
Race: Troll [40 BP]

Attributes: (200BP <240>)
Body 5
Agility 2 (10 BP)
Reaction 2 (10 BP)
Strength 5
Charisma 3 (20 BP)
Intuition 4 (30 BP)
Logic 5 (40 BP)
Willpower 5 (40 BP)
Edge 2 (10 BP)
Magic: 5 (40 BP)

Essence: 6
Initiative:
Initiative Passes:
Physical Damage Track:
Stun Damage Track:

Active Skills: [144BP]
Sorcery 4 (40 BP)
Counterspelling (magic)
Ritual Spellcasting (magic)
Spellcasting (magic)
Conjuring 4 (40 BP)
Banishing (magic)
Binding (magic)
Summoning (magic)
Biotech 1 (10 BP)
Cybertechnology (logic)
Medicine (logic)
First Aid (logic)
Assensing (intuition) 2 [8BP]
Astral Combat (willpower) 2 [8BP]
Arcana (logic) 4 [16BP]
Enchanting (logic) 3 [12BP]
Unarmed Combat (agility) 1 [4BP]
Perception (intuition) 2 [8BP]
Etiquette (charisma) 1 [4BP]
Survival (willpower) (Urban specialization) 3 [14BP]
Computer (logic) 2 [4BP]
Data Search (logic) 2 [4BP]
Infiltration 2 [8BP]

Knowledge Skills:
(2 pts per Knowledge/ 27 BP free = 27BP spent)
S.K. Local Area Knowledge 2 [4BP]
S.K. City Sewer Network 2 [4BP]
S.K. Free Clinic Doctors 2 [4BP]
Magic Theory 3 [6BP]
Meditation 3 [6BP]
Spirits 2 [4BP]
A.K. Buddhism 2 [4BP]
A.K. Chinese Proverbs 2 [4BP]

Language Skills:
Mandarin N [0BP]
Cantonese 4 [8BP]
English (City Speak) 3 [6BP]
Japanese 2 [4BP]

Qualities: [20BP]
Magician [15 BP]
Focused Concentration [20BP]
Mentor Spirit [5BP]
Sensei (Wujen) [5BP]
Sensitive System [-15BP]
Obese [-10BP]

Spells: [24BP]
1. Heal
2. Cure Disease
3. Sterilize
4. Detect Life
5. Physical Barrier
6. Catalogue
7. Magic Fingers
8. Stun bolt

Contacts: [ 7BP]
Fixer (Connection 2/ Loyalty 1)
Talismonger (Connection 2/ Loyalty 2)

Newyen: [2BP]
¥

Lifestyles:

Augmentations:

Weapons:

Armor:

Armor Totals: Encumbrance , Ballistic , Impact

Clothes:

Commlink & Software:

Tools:

Gear:

Locations

THE WUXING TRADITION
Concept: The manipulation of qi—or vital life energy— through ritual and technique to produce magical effects.

Combat: Fire
Detection: Earth
Health: Plant
Illusion: Water
Manipulation: Guidance
Drain: Willpower + Logic

This Chinese magical tradition ties mana to the concept of qi, an energy that moves through the universe and the bodies of every being in it. Qi can have varying characteristics that influence how it manifests in the physical and spiritual worlds, and wujen (practitioners of Wuxing) can manipulate these characteristics to produce sorcery. Qi has five states of being, represented by the five Chinese elements of Fire, Earth, Wood, Water, and Metal, and it is also influenced by the two poles of passivity and activity, yin and yang. Like Western hermetic mages, wujen often use complex rituals and formulae to change the state of qi to what they desire, but they are also known to use techniques of meditation, geomancy, and martial arts.
Even the Wuxing approach to spirits is logical and orderly, with wujen requesting the aid of heavenly beings who are them- selves arranged in a celestial bureaucracy. The primary duty of these spirits is recording the actions and fates of mortals, and most see the inevitable summonings from wujen as annoying distractions. When manifest, most have visual clues that tie them to their element, but they tend to appear humanoid or in the shape of Eastern dragons or mythical creatures. It is also common for wujen to summon the spirits of their own ancestors and consult their wisdom or petition their aid. The adoption of mentor spirits is rare among wujen, but there are some who follow in the paths of the Jade Emperor or Monkey (use the Dark King and Trickster archetypes, respectively).
The Wuxing tradition is native to the Chinese states, though it has traveled with Chinese immigration to communi- ties around the globe. Many Asian corporations employ wujen in their magical personnel, and Western corporations are start- ing to turn to wujen to fill their own ranks. It is important to consider that Wuxing is a magical tradition but not a religion; many wujen also follow the tenets of Buddhism, Daoism, or even Christianity.

Last edited by Hotei_Yang_Shi on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slide
Admin
Slide

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Umm... I thought we wear going with 500 BP not BK. I'm not sure how well it would translate.
Back to top Go down
https://datahavens.forumotion.com
Slide
Admin
Slide

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 pm

However in retrospec I will allow anything as long as you explain in great detail why kelley is afraid of squirrels.
Back to top Go down
Duke_Fuentes

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 am

I don't think Bry has Runners Companion, even though this says Build Karma it's actually Build Points.
Back to top Go down
Hotei_Yang_Shi

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:27 am

I don't have Runner Companion. I used a model I saw Kelley post here on the forums to build it. I thought BK and BP were the same.

If we're going to nit pick, this is going to pretty painful.

lol
Back to top Go down
Phedre

Phedre

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 am

...does that mean we don't get to hear why you are afraid of squirrels?
Back to top Go down
Duke_Fuentes

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:33 am

In Runners Companion they have optional rules for building your character using Karma that is pretty close to buying advancements with Karma. It's a cool system and has some big advantages. We tried it in the game we just stopped playing and it works. For this game we decided to go with the regular build point system because that's how all the existing characters were made.

Hotei looks good so far. I know you were originally talking about making him a shaman, in which case drain is based off of charisma but magic is so flexible now I think you could just say he is like a shaman but uses logic instead.
Back to top Go down
Duke_Fuentes

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:46 am

Oh, just saw that you took Gremlins. Technology is everywhere in the game so Gremlins will tend to come up a lot. It can be kind of fun and I think it fits Hotei but just a word of warning, you have to be prepared to be frustrated when something that should be trivial to do becomes impossible because of Gremlins. At least your not playing a Hacker/Rigger with Gremlins like Morgan's character...
Back to top Go down
Hotei_Yang_Shi

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the input! I'm still tweaking.

I used the point expenditures as they were indicated in the core rulebook. So if I just rename them build points it will be accurate. I'll probably drop gremlins. I was trying different qualities on for size. Hotei is pretty low tech, but like you said, I think it will be insanely difficult and unique to expect to be "no-tech". lol

"...in which case drain is based off of charisma but magic is so flexible now I think you could just say he is like a shaman but uses logic instead."

From reading the core book I was just building him as a generalist magician. I will have to read further. I wasn't aware that the drain was different for a shaman. I thought it was just a way to describe the culture of your magician that shared the same magic rules as other Awakened. =)
Back to top Go down
Slide
Admin
Slide

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 7:54 pm

pretty much there is no real distinction between shaman and hermetic mage anymore. You can have a "hermetic mage" with a mentor spirit and so on an so forth. and you can chose what stat you want to use as your dran stat.
Back to top Go down
Hotei_Yang_Shi

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 am

Hotei Yang Shi, the Wujen!

I updated his information. I'm getting closer I think. Only 51 more BP to go.

I'm still looking for critiques!

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hotei so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hotei so far   Hotei so far Empty

Back to top Go down

Hotei so far
Page 1 of 1